Setting: Hip editor (NYT, RS, VF) unfortunately but predictably (given even a cursory glance of the standard literature on pathological disorders) falls from grace. His rebound job is Editor/Publisher of “The Costco Connection (A Magazine For Costco Members.”) Here are his notes on the first monthly editorial budget sent up for his review.
“Really busy, I just have 9 points:
- Re: the cover story on Sullenberger – OK, Sully, the Hero of the Hudson, US Airways pilot extraordinaire, Eastwood tie-in, etc. Just want to make sure this piece isn’t going in some mawkish direction – you know, Sully/Superman-type stuff. So can we make Sully a silicone doll figure? That way, people can do selfies like “Look who just flew in.” We would blow up Instagram!
- That thumb-sucker on the benefits of hiring special needs employees was an awesome display of well-informed advocacy journalism. I get it! But could we spice it up a little? Maybe a Go-Pro on one of the “special needs?” Might be something Fallon would highlight in his monologue.
- “Celebrating Chocolate” – Hell yeah! Well done!
- The review on Paulo Coelho’s book, “The Spy” – remind me, he’s the guy that wrote “The Alchemist,” right? I like this – how many do we sell off the review? Do we pay for these reviews?
- When I read this review of Meryl Streep’s new movie, “Florence,” I thought it was her last movie where she sang rock and roll! But what am I saying, Meryl can play anyone. This will open strong, don’t you think? Would Meryl be a better cover than Sully?
- Matt Damon’s return as Jason Bourne? Drop the mic! Let’s put Matt on the cover!
- The food feature on sheet pan meals was cute, but a little quaint. Have you heard about that guy in the Valley who’s synthesized the perfect food – you only need 3 glasses a day, nothing else. Let’s check him out!
- King Crab legs for breakfast? I don’t think so! Spiked.
- Feature on how to survive the “Holiday Roller Coaster” was awesome! Do you think we could tie cannabis into this piece? Legal pot just passed by a landslide in Cali, this is an emerging market and we need to get serious about capturing it!
Otherwise the book is looking awesome!
This is funny and very clever!